Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi
x
Araghchi said Tehran was waiting for mediators to communicate Washington's final position. File photo

Iran awaits US response after Trump rejects Strait of Hormuz reopening deal

Tehran says it is waiting for mediators to convey Washington’s final position after Trump rejected Iran’s proposal to reopen the key waterway within seven days


Iran has said that it will wait for an official response from US negotiators after President Donald Trump rejected Tehran's proposal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz to commercial shipping within seven days.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi acknowledged Trump's rejection in a Telegram post and accused the US president of making contradictory statements during the talks.

Araghchi said Tehran was waiting for mediators to communicate Washington's final position. He wrote on Telegram that Trump "has made many good statements, as well as many contradictory ones, which unfortunately we hear frequently".

'Waiting for definitive view'

"We are waiting for the mediators to convey the definitive views to us, and we will make a decision based on them," Araghchi said.

Trump rejected the proposal on Saturday (September 26), saying Iran wanted an agreement because it was “losing so badly.”

Also Read: Trump rejects Iran offer to reopen Strait of Hormuz

“They want to make a deal, and I think that's fine,” Trump told reporters outside the White House before leaving for a college football game. “I'd like to make a deal, too. But that deal would not be acceptable,” he added, as quoted by the BBC.

Araghchi had said on Friday (September 25) that an agreement could be reached if "necessary conditions are met" by the two countries. He said the conditions for reopening the strait were the same as those contained in a memorandum of understanding signed by Iran and the US in June.

Tehran outlines conditions for reopening Strait

Iran said reopening the waterway and ending hostilities were discussed during talks held alongside the UN General Assembly in New York this week.

Also Read: Iran suggests deal to reopen Strait of Hormuz in 7 days

Under Tehran's proposal, the strait would reopen, and negotiations on Iran's nuclear programme would resume within seven days. Iran sought the lifting of a US naval blockade on its ports, a waiver of sanctions on its oil sales and a ceasefire covering Lebanon.

Trump said the US already had "total control" of the strait and claimed "massive amounts of oil" were still passing through it.

"I'm rejecting their deal," Trump said on Saturday.

(With agency inputs)

Next Story