
**EDS: SCREENGRAB VIA PTI VIDEOS** Ranchi: Demonstrators celebrate after cabinet decided to cancel Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level examination, in Ranchi, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (PTI Photo)(PTI08_17_2026_000618B)
Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL recruitment tests, protesters end hunger strike
CM announces formation of exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend measures to strengthen recruitment exam system
After the Hemant Soren government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted by TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014 following widespread protests by aspirants, student leader Devendra Mahto and two other protesters ended their hunger strike in Ranchi on Monday (August 17).
There, however, is no clarity on whether the agitation has ended. While some reports say that the protest has ended, others say the protesting students may take a call on withdrawing the demonstration on Tuesday (August 18).
PTI says the government’s decision to cancel the exams and recruitment tests failed to end the protest as the agitators maintained that their key demand for a CBI probe into alleged examination irregularities had not been accepted.
The government, however, gave a different version.
"Just now, Devendra Mahato, Umme Habiba, and Rahul Kranti voluntarily took the initiative to end their hunger strike. We facilitated the end of their hunger strike. We helped them break their fast by giving them juice. Through the collective efforts of Dipika Pandey and Jairam Mahato, the ongoing agitation has formally concluded today. The government has accepted all their demands; these were significant demands and a major issue,” ANI quoted Jharkhand minister Irfan Ansari as saying.
JSSC-CGL exam cancelled
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decisions after a marathon cabinet meeting at the state secretariat. The government also formed an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend changes to the recruitment examination system.
Also Read: Rahul urges Soren to meet Jharkhand protesters, 'hear them out'
"The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) and the results published by it," Soren told reporters after the meeting.
Mahto, who had been fasting for 16 days at Sadar Hospital in Ranchi, ended his fast in the presence of ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari.
"Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue," Mahto said as quoted by the Hindustan Times.
CBI probe demand remains
However, the protesters continued to press for a CBI inquiry into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. The demand remained outside the government's decision, even after the JSSC-CGL cancellation and the move against examinations conducted by TDPL.
Also Read: Jharkhand protesters burn CM Soren, Rahul Gandhi’s effigies as govt calls for fresh talks
Rahul Kranti, who was among the protesters receiving treatment at Sadar Hospital, had said the agitation would continue unless the government accepted the demand for a CBI probe. Another protester, Umme Habiba, said the government's decision to hold fresh talks showed its sensitivity towards the students' concerns.
Mahto called for tighter safeguards against paper leaks and irregularities in recruitment examinations.
"Every examination must be monitored, every examination must be audited, and there must be a clear certificate for every examination and at every stage. We will continue to struggle for this," he said.
Probe points to wider irregularities
"Several surprising factors emerged during the probe into exam irregularities by the CID and special investigation team. These cannot be disclosed at this juncture," Soren said, adding that several companies operating in Jharkhand appeared to be involved in a "huge exam racket".
Also Read: Jharkhand protesters to gherao Hemant Soren’s residence, demand his resignation
The CID continued raids linked to the alleged irregularities. "We are conducting raids at the JSSC office in connection with alleged irregularities in various examinations," CID ADG Manoj Kaushik told PTI.
Mahto also welcomed the CID inquiry and thanked Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, the state ministers, fellow students and others who had supported the agitation.
"Today marks the 16th day of the hunger strike. This struggle began on July 2. Following a meeting with the Chief Minister on July 20, a CID inquiry was initiated on July 28. The investigation is being conducted thoroughly, sparing no one," Mahto said.
Job holders protest cancellation
The cancellation also drew opposition from candidates who had cleared the JSSC-CGL examination and obtained government jobs. They protested outside the state secretariat, saying the decision could leave around 2,000 people without employment.
The BJP backed the students' demand for a CBI probe. Leader of the Opposition Babulal Marandi questioned why the government should oppose such an inquiry if it had confidence in the recruitment process.

